Everything you need to know about speeding tickets

Since 2014, Martin Cray & Co. have been named the best solicitors for motoring and driving offences. We have a steady stream of private clients who come to us when they need legal advice and representation in regards to speeding and other driving offences.

Our expert speeding ticket solicitors have taken the time to break down and answer the most commonly asked questions regarding speeding tickets, but this is not a replacement for genuine legal advice and representation.

How did I get a speeding ticket?

Ultimately, there are two ways to get a speeding ticket:

  • Your car was caught by a speeding camera
  • You were stopped by the police for speeding

The process of handling these is pretty straight forward if you’ve been handed a fine and do not wish to contest the ticket The owner of the car will be sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP), detailing the offence. Plus, a document called a Section 172 notice which includes the fine and any points you will receive on your license. You have 28 days to declare who was driving the car at the time of the offence and decide to pay it, contest it or face a court summons. You may, of course, wish to plead not guilty to the ticket but you may face a greater penalty if you are found guilty by a court.

James Yates, Solicitor Advocate, says there are some exceptions to this: “If stopped by Police you may not be sent a NIP or an S172 notice since you may have been informed of the intent to prosecute at the roadside and you would already have been identified as the driver. If the matter is being dealt with a single justice procedure notice then you may be given the proposed points and fine – but not every time. You may simply be asked if you intend to plead guilty without a hearing, guilty with a hearing or not guilty.”

Where are speeding tickets sent to?

Tickets are always sent to the registered address of the vehicle’s owner. It is therefore important that your drivers’ licence has your up to date address on it since “Failing to Provide Information” may result in more points than the speeding matter if it is sent to an outdated address.

Can speeding cameras be wrong?

It can be very difficult to prove that a camera is wrong – but if you have any grounds to contest your case please contact the team immediately on 01273 673226 or email info@martincray.co.uk

How do speeding tickets affect insurance?

Consumer Intelligence has some insightful data on the impact of speeding tickets and the cost of insurance. They found that “motorway speeding convictions, could add an average of £101 to your annual car insurance bill. If you’re caught speeding on a public road it’s likely to add around £36 a year.”
In addition to this, it’s also been found that ”the extra cost of a speeding conviction is proportionally higher for the over 50s. They could see their premium rise by £58 for any speeding convictions – £166 a year for a motorway speeding offence” (Compare The Market).

How are speeding tickets calculated?

Speeding tickets and the associated fines/ penalties are calculated based on how much over the speed limit you were at the time of the offence and your household income. To learn more about the fines and penalties associated with speeding tickets please see the table below.

Are speeding fines based on income?

Speeding tickets are means-tested, meaning the penalty for a speeding ticket varies depending on your income, however, the minimum penalty fine is £100 and 3 points on your license (Gov.uk), to learn more see the table below.

What is the punishment for continued speeding tickets and fines?

The table below shows you how much you can expect your speeding ticket to be along with any penalties or risks to your drivers’ license.

Are speeding tickets a criminal offence?

Although speeding points do not appear on a DBS check, a speeding ticket is still a criminal offence even if you choose to pay the Fixed Penalty Notice (fine) within 28 days and settle out of court. However, if you choose to ignore your fixed penalty notice (which you have 28 days to pay) or decide you want to go to court and fight your case (with a not guilty plea) you could face a criminal conviction if you are found guilty at court.

Can speeding fines be waived?

If you choose to go to court because you want to contest your speeding ticket and you succeed in being found not guilty will not receive a fine or any points. However, if the court finds you guilty you could face a criminal conviction, be ordered to pay prosecution costs, receive a higher fine, get more points on your license and even be disqualified from driving. There is one exception to this, under the single notice procedure notice, the police might waive the full fine if dealt with without a hearing.

Speeding when in labour

No domestic drivers are exempt from exceeding the speed limit. Only emergency service vehicles operated by on-duty trained emergency service personnel are allowed to drive over the limit. Any domestic vehicle found to be speeding or driving dangerously will be subject to an immediate fine. If you need to get to the hospital, we advise that you call 999.

However there could be an exception as James Yates, Solicitor Advocate, notes: “It is possible to raise a defence of “necessity” but this is a complex argument to make and would run the risk of a trial if not accepted by either the police or crown prosecution service”.

Speeding when you’ve just passed your test

This is particularly risky as new drivers are more likely to have their license revoked, even when there are fewer points on there versus someone who has had their license for more than 2 years. According to the Gov website: If you’re still within 2 years of passing your driving test, your driving licence will be revoked (withdrawn) if you build up 6 or more penalty points.

How do I get out of a speeding ticket?

If you think you have grounds to plead not guilty or contest the ticket then it’s best you get in touch with our expert motoring offences solicitors to decide on the best course of action. The earlier we are able to get on board during your case the more time we have to put a case together for you and assist you in court.

More News

ASD/ADHD/Bipolar – the legal system

By Martin Cray ON 05 Aug 2021

My colleagues and I have, for many years, had the privilege of being able to assist young people who have autism spectrum disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and bipolar disorder.  Overwhelmingly this would be young men and boys between the ages of 12 and 25. As we know these disorders significantly effect personality and in…

Read More

Martin Cray & Co. named top 3 solicitors in Brighton

By James Yates ON 10 Jun 2021

Today ReviewSolicitors named Martin Cray & Co one of the top 3 solicitors in Brighton – crediting our perfect 5-star rating. The team are chuffed by the rating and should be commended for their hard work and commitment to their clients across Private Criminal, Family Law, Business Law and Private Law. We have often been…

Read More